rear axle disassembly

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: rear axle disassembly
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:21:55 -0700
Does anyone have tips or instructions on disassembling the MGB rear axle?
This is the tubed type axle from a 72B.

I have never done a rear axle, so I took what I thought was the easy way
out. I let my son take my spare axle to school - he is taking classes at
the local vocational high school. I figured he could take it apart and then
I could later learn the details from him. I did locate a few articles and
old emails which I gave him to assist him in the task.

He indicates they cannot remove the axle shafts. My instructions I recall
indicate the left one needs removed, particularly if the goal is to renew
the thrust washers (a task I would like to do on my 67BGT someday). He said
the Haynes manual refers to using a special BMC tool. But surely, we
wouldn't need that.

I know details are sketchy since I am not directly involved in this
project. But apparently my son, several other students, and the teacher are
perplexed on how to pull the shafts out. Does anyone know of what I speak
of and the solution besides maybe a bfh?

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B