Tranny Mount Question

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tranny Mount Question
From: Ruggiero Larry Lt Col AFRC/XPXS <Larry.Ruggiero@AFRC.AF.MIL>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:53:25 -0500
Hey gang, another question - and yes, you could probably tell by the type of
questions I've been asking lately that my oh-so-long engine/tranny
rebuild/reinstall is zipping(?) along toward completion.

My car's a '72 roadster with the original non-O/D tranny mount setup,
although an overdrive tranny from the same year car is going back in. I've
reassembled the tranny mounts with new grommets, the ones that are each in
their respective V-shaped piece, one to the tranny, the other to the
crossmember. First, they were a bugger to get in the flared holes, and
second, when both V-pieces are assembled together, there's a gap of at least
1/2" between the two, along the bolt that holds them together. Since there's
only maybe 1/2" of threads on the bolt, the two pieces can't be snugged
together when the nut's fully tightened.  Now I know that the weight of the
tranny resting on top of the entire mount assembly will most likely mean the
grommets press together and the gap transferred to the bottom(?) of the
nut/bolt. It appears it's the correct bolt, since it's headless and has its
integral washer at the top. The Bentley manual only shows an apparently
earlier assembly, the one with the transmission steady-rod sub-assembly.  Am
I missing something here, like a stack of washers to take out the slack?  As
always, TIA...

Larry Ruggiero '72 Teal Blue MGB
Warner Robins, GA