Re: MGA floorboards

To: gbaker@customcpu.com (Baker, G.), "MG Board" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA floorboards
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:49:19 -0600
At 11:02 AM 11/14/02 -0900, Greg Baker wrote:
>.... I used 1/2" exterior treated plywood instead of 3/8" because I read
>it would not be a problem.  Now the problem.
>    The extra width doesn't allow the screw holes to line up in the back
> tunnel cover and the brackets attached to the round crossmember running
> between the side frames.  The holes in the back tunnel cover are too high.

I made mine out of 1/2" plywood, lots of years ago, and I had no problem at
all with the thickness, didn't thin out any of the edges.  Were you using a
standard pattern for the original 3/8" wood?  I just made my own patterns
and/or cut the pieces to fit on the fly.

Not clear from your statement above, but the tunnel goes in first, and the
wood after, on top of the tunnel flanges.  The edges of some of the boards
may have been trimmed back just a bit to fit where they butt up against
others.  Been so long ago that I can't even remember if the vertical or
horizontal boards go in first.  Pays to do a nice job of sealing and
painting I guess, that was 25 years and 180,000 miles ago, and they still
look like new.

Never thought of taking pictures in those days.  Couple more restorations
going on in the neighborhood now, so maybe I'll get to lend a hand and take
some pictures soon.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg