Re: Alternator bracket.

To: Jack Feldman <qualitas@millenicom.com>
Subject: Re: Alternator bracket.
From: Dennis <mg-dennis@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:45:16 -0800
I'm working on an alternator conversion on my 67B.  You didn't say what year
your
car is as that makes a difference where the bracket bolts to the block.  On the
early blocks, they are set up for a generator and even though the bosses are
there for the alternator bracket it is not drilled and tapped.  I got a
"conversion bracket" from Mini Mania.  I think British Automotive sells it also.
I used a Bosch 55 amp alternator.  The bracket made for a real nice fit.  The
only issue was the adjusting bracket interfering with the fins on the pulley
which was corrected by a little bit of grinding.  The Bosch has the same spacing
as the Lucas unit I believe.  I also removed the regulator from the car.   The
Bosch alternator was used on many different cars and is a common unit to find.
What alternator did you come up with?  The Bosch cost me $105.  I think normally
it's $80 but I had to pay an additional $25 cause I didn't have a core.

Dennis Cox
67 MGB