Re: Rev Limiters

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rev Limiters
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:21:04 EST
In a message dated 20/11/02 10:49:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com writes:

>    The BMW 2002tii uses this same mechanical technology.  It works
> well and when you add up all the other costs, this option may well be
> the cheaper alternative.

These of course were for Bosch distributors and not usable in Lucas units.

The 'ground it out completely' school _is_ a bit hard on the machinery - the
fuel is in the cylinder and when it fires again it stresses the bottom end.

So-called 'soft touch' limiters like MSD will kill one cylinder at a time, so
you do get firing every other cycle or so.

Ideally, you'd have fuel injection - rev limiting is easy on these as they
simply shut off the injectors and the engine dies until you drop below the
limit. Scared the heck out of me the first time it happened to me in my
street Fiero. It uses the same mechanism as the rev limiter (ie shuts off the
fuel) as a boost limiter for my non-stock turbo installation, and I figured
I'd done something silly and expensive to the engine when the fire went out,
until I lifted my foot and everything was working again.

Bill