Re: Fuel pump problems?

To: "joseph cianciotti" <jmc987@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Fuel pump problems?
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:37:46 -0000
Wax in your ears?  Seriously, if you ran the carbs dry then reconnected the
pump and the filter filled up the pump must be pumping.  But if it has
suddenly got very quiet, and you are getting what looks like fuel
starvation, then perhaps it is only pumping very weakly.  Take a feed pipe
off a carb (watch out for a spurt if the ignition has been on recently)
direct it into a container and switch on the ignition.  It should pump at
the rate of about 1 pint in 30 secs.

Original pumps before 1977 had capacitor points quenching which means they
are *NOT* polarity sensitive i.e. there were not positive and negative
ground versions, hence you can change the polarity of the battery without
doing anything to the pump.  Later pumps (AZX types) use diode quenching
which *ARE* polarity sensitive, so you should get the one that matches your
battery polarity as it is now.  If you use the wrong one the supply is not
fused and it will cook the wiring and/or blow the diode in the pump.  As an
aside it is an easy matter to fuse the pump by using an in-line with bullet
ends where the boot/trunk harness joins to the main harness at the mass of
connectors by the junction of the firewall and right-hand inner wing.  A
standard 17amp rated, 35amp blow fuse will be fine.