brake light switch

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: brake light switch
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 15:56:47 -0700
Each week, I make slow progress towards the day my 72B will run again. Last
weekend, the car finally had brakes and clutch again, for the first time in
several years, as brake fluid once again flowed in its lines.

This weekend, I decided to let the electrons flow as I finished most of the
wiring and then connected the battery circuit. With a new wiring harness, I
wasn't sure what to expect. But when I made the final connection of the
battery to ground, the first thing I noticed was the red brake warning
light. The emergency brake was not on. I was not quite ready to turn the
ignition key yet (no gas in the tank for one thing) but I tested the items
that should work without the ignition key. So far, only one parking lamp
worked, no headlights, and the flasher only worked on one lamp. At least
there were no sparks or smoke.

So back to the brake light - I recall there was some specific way was
needed to bleed the brakes so the brake switch was centered in the lines.
Does anyone know the trick to do this? Meanwhile, I'll be checking all my
other electrical connections as the day progresses.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B