RE: 30 degree valve seats and 3 angle valve grid

To: "'Don Malling'" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 30 degree valve seats and 3 angle valve grid
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 08:34:47 -0800
Don:

You have the idea of a 3 angle grind.  Rather than using one cutting stone,
a sequence of cuts are made that give better flow characteristics.

Is this good?  As any performance modification, it depends on what you want.

It is more expensive to do, as three cuts are required.  Also from what I
understand, the sealing surfaces will erode at a higher rate than with a
traditional single cut.

So, it's like the old adage.  You can't get something for nothing.  You can
get higher flow, but you are going to be spending more money for a shorter
lived option.

Spending extra money on the valve grind wouldn't be my first step towards
improved efficiency and performance.  I think I would spend some time port
matching the intake and exhaust, which is a DIY cheap way to begin to get
better overall flow.  I've never done it, since I'm a lazy, un-organised
mechanic, but dowel pinning the manifolds and matching the ports seems like
a good starting point if you are serious about flow.

hope this is helpful

Kelvin.