Re: Snapped a stud - how screwed am I?

To: Steve@shoyer.com
Subject: Re: Snapped a stud - how screwed am I?
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:57:14 -0500
Steve,
   It's  _possible_  to remove a head stud without removing the head.
Since the studs are new, one would expect that, normally, the broken stud
would not be stuck in the block.
   There's no certainty that it's not stuck, though.  How did you run the
studs into the block? Turn them in and tighten hard w doubled-nuts or
turn them in w fingers?  If run in hard, the threads of stud and head
might be stuck.
   But you can give it a try--at worst you will lose an hour and at best
you can save a couple.  Get a long drill bit to fit the EZOut (extractor)
you get, plus a round magnet on a stick and some q-tips to remove the
metal chips.  While you are seeking a long bit, see if you can get a long
left-hand bit (harder to find but handy for this job of extraction).
   Best of luck; you have earned some driving time.
Bob