It lives....sort of

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: It lives....sort of
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 16:34:36 -0700
Its been almost two years since I started my most ambitious project - the
frame up restoration of a 72B starting with the 72B parts car (no
drivetrain) and the remnants of my rusted 71BGT.

Its has been inching forward and  nears completion. Today, I started the
engine for its first time. Unlike my previous two engine rebuilds, this one
did not start up right away. But after it started, ran briefly, and then
died, I noticed a pool of oil and anti-freeze under the car. But what
looked grim momentarily turned out to not be too bad (I think). The oil
came from the oil pressure hose not being tightened on the engine block.
That was an easy fix. But the antifreeze turned out to be coming from the
thermostat area, squirting out from the side of one of the bolts. I went
ahead and started the engine back up to break it in despite the antifreeze
leak. I followed Lawrie's instructions to run the engine for about 20
minutes to break in the cam & tappets. Then I retorqued the head and
readjusted the valve clearances.

I then took off the thermostat housing cover (if that is what it is
called). It looks like the weird leak is due to the fact that the DPO of
the head or maybe a machine shop bored out the stud and left a nice groove
on the side. Anyway, this groove is large enough to allow antifreeze to
flow up the side and out the top of the bolt (the lockwasher also giving an
opening). Now the question is deciding on the fix. JBWeld the gap and then
run a 5/16" tap through? Or?

The key was to get the car started which I did. Tach and water temp gauge
do not work but oil pressure (mechanical) and fuel do. So a few more
weekends of work probably remain. I just figured it was time to come in
where its warm and have a Moose Drool (a local dark ale), worry about the
minor details later.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B