Oil Misting into engine bay solved...

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Misting into engine bay solved...
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 17:55:04 -0700
I posted a while back that my '70B with a '77 Engine and down draft
weber was misting oil into the engine bay though the vented oil cap.

Several suggestions were made so I went and did some testing.

I wasn't getting any vacuum to speak of from the hose from the bottom
of the weber's air intake. I couldn't find anything wrong, there just
wasn't any significant vacuum there. I pulled the fitting off and
checked the hose, no plugs.

 Maybe the K&N air filter wasn't restrictive enough for it.

I placed a latex glove over the oil filler with the cap off. (tied a
knot in the wrist to make it stay.)

When I reved the engine up a bit it would actually blow the glove up
and then off.

I put the weber on when I was rebuilding my SUs.  I finished that long
ago.  So I pulled the SUs out and put them back on.  Now at idle there
is a vacuum under the oil cover.  When reved up, if I tried the glove
trick again, it would suck the glove down in.  (Not something I am
going to do.)

When I reinstalled my chrome oil cover that came with the AL cap, the
idle speed went up slightly.

So, I wasn't getting enough/any vacuum from the weber to stop the flow.

Now it is back together and running great.  Hopefully the misting
problem is solved. (I don't see how it couldn't be at this point.)

I even got to use my color tune today. Bought that after I borrowed a
neighbors a year or so ago.

Merry Christmas!

I got PCV for my christmas-eve gift!

--