Re: Cross Country MGB update.

To: David Deutsch <mgman@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Cross Country MGB update.
From: "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:01:10 -0600
On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 12:50:36PM -0500, David Deutsch wrote:
> I heard from Adam around 8 PM last night and he had gotten a good ways into
> Tennessee before calling it a day. I'm guessing he should be able to get
> into Oklahoma today, New Mexico tomorrow, Arizona Tuesday and wrap it up on
> Wednesday. I asked him  not to try and do more than 10 hours / 600 miles a
> day. Twenty-five years ago I did this trip with Santa Monica as my
> destination but I did it with a friend in 1968 Coronet 440 with a 318 V8. We
> did it in 47 hours from start to finish.

Good to hear he's doing well.

When I moved from San Diego back to Kansas for grad school in the winter
of '88, a friend and I drove it in 2 days in my '69 Datsun 510 towing a trailer.
I think it was 20 hours to Albuquerque. Where we stayed about 5 hours at his
cousin's house. And then another 20 hours through an ice storm in Kansas got
us into Manhattan at 2 in the morning.

The only problem we had was a blown heater hose fixed with duct tape. Holes
in the firewall (missing plugs), ditto. And one backfire through the carb
in Salina, pretend it didn't happend and drive on.

The next summer, I went out there to work for the summer, and drove my
brothers Alfa GTV6. I made San Diego to Pueblo, Co in a day.

I'd never do that now.

--
Paul T. Root            - CCSA, CCSE, CCNA
600 Stinson Blvd, Fl 1S         PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155