Re: How cold can I run with 20W50?

To: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: How cold can I run with 20W50?
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 22:06:26 -0700
At 02:09 PM 1/12/2003 +0000, Telewest \(PH\) wrote:
>The book indicates 20W/50 is OK down to -10C, 15F.

I'm not sure what the pour point would be for 20W/50 (and perhaps it varies
by brand) but I'm pretty sure it will flow, like syrup, at 15F. I believe
it will be below zero (F) when it gets difficult to pour. But the main
problem will be cranking the engine over - the colder it gets, the thicker
the oil, and the slower the engine will turn to the point that it will be
too slow to start. I really haven't had problems with 20/50 or 10/40 during
extremely cold weather, beside the cranking part. But at 35 below, I found
that 90W gear oil was so thick that in order to get my Landcruiser started,
I had to hold the clutch in until the engine started and had enough power
to handle the transmission in neutral.

But maybe those days are behind us. That was years ago. In fact, it hasn't
been below zero yet this winter here in Montana. Global warming?

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B