Re: New Midget?

To: paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: Re: New Midget?
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 10:06:56 EST
In a message dated 1/17/2003 2:19:08 AM Pacific Standard Time,
paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk writes:

> >Less common these days, where cars are frequently pre-announced, often >as
> show 'concept' cars

Hi,
After reading about the latest "concept car" from one of the Asian (either
from Hyundai or Kia) I went to the 2003 LA International Auto Show (Jan. 4th
thru 12th, 2003 I believe) only to be massively disappointed to find it was
only a mock up. A glass fibre shell that sat on a wooden or whatever frame w/
2 axles displaying 4 of those "Gawd-Awful" 26 in. chrome rims (sorry, kids!)
with 2 inch thick tires, I wonder where you'd get them changed or repaired.
My sons G35 coupe has like 20 inch rims with Nitto tires, supposedly the
tires are advertised as run flat tires that you can drive 1000 miles (?)
without having to repair or change the flat. Anyway back to the concept car
are mock ups that common at shows? I always thought that they had to at least
have a means of propulsion and/or brakes window glass ,etc.  Anyway the 2004
Pontiac roadster (2 seater!) looked interesting supposedly will sell for
about $17,000 USD....But the high point of the show for me was seeing how
many people were milling around the British car section.....I hope that it is
indicative of good things to come. After all Land-Rover, Bentley, R-R,
Aston-Martin (featured marque of the show) and Jaguar have always been bench
marks as far as I'm concerned. Always the standard by which all others have
had to measured up. There was also quite a few "turn key" cars where once
only the Seven and Super-Seven copies seemed to be.  I saw one (awesome)!
Jaguar S-type from XKs Unlimited, of San Luis Obispo, Ca. But that
fibre-glass shell that had lured me to the show at first was a real turn off.
But come on England!! Lotus as always was there, too! Just need those
MG-Rovers guys to get with it!! Come on lads, thats the right paddywick....
Cheers...
Albert Escalante
1978 MGB;1977 Jaguar XJ6-Lump
Central Coast British Car Club (Ca.)