Re: Engine Conversions alt. fuels

To: "Michael W. Jose" <mwjose@cox.net>,
Subject: Re: Engine Conversions alt. fuels
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 08:23:08 US/Mountain
Hydrogen sounds good because in theory combustion of only hydrogen and
oxygen creates water. But in theory combustion of petroleum products only
creates a bunch of water with some carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide
too.  But remember the big problem emmission is from nitrogen and oxygen
(NOx) in various chemical combinations.  Guess what - for those that don't
realize it air is 79% nitrogen, so if you combust hydrogen and oxygen
under pressure in the presense of nitrogen, there's likely to be some NOx
in the exhaust.  Can't say for sure, but I'm guessing it isn't as clean in
practice as it is in theory.

Phil Bates
'67 MGB
'58 MGA