RE: Seat belt question...

To: "'Wil Boucher'" <william@greenmgb.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Seat belt question...
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:59:07 -0800
Wil:

Peter Arakelian (a Triumph owner) and I pushed to get the inertia reel
seatbelts into stock at Moss.  We both were driving British Sports Cars to
work every day and are very safety concious.  We wanted to offer modern,
reasonably priced belts designed specifically to fit in British cars.

My 1970 MGB had the same type of belts as your car.  I hated them after
getting used to the Kangol retractors in my 1974 Austin Marina.

I ended up welding upper mounting points on the MGB roll bar and installed a
set of Marina belts.  The inertia reel units now offered are a lot easier to
mount and are very similar in style to the ones used on the 1974-76 MGB.
These mount to threaded bosses welded to the inner wheel wells.  The
mounting point can be duplicated with a steel plate, or large washers.  The
inner wheel well is pretty thick and a backing washer will probably be
adequate.

Another alternative is to use the UK produced inertia/tilt type belt which
is similar to that used on the 1977-80 MGB.  This has to be mounted on a
bracket which keeps it horizontal.  Moss discontinued advertising this type
because customers would manage to get them fully retracted, whilst playing
with them and then be unable to get them to release, because the unit
thought it was in an accident.  I know, I've got 4 sets at home for my cars
that came out of swap meet.  Sit the unit on a flat surface, so it will calm
down and not think it's in an accident, then force the belt just a bit more
in with a screwdriver, and voila.

Anyways, in short.  I like the inertia belts we sell.  If you need any
installation tips feel free to e-mail me direct.

Kelvin Dodd.