Re: Cylinder pressure and predetonation

To: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>, <MGs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cylinder pressure and predetonation
From: "james" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 19:38:24 -0500
I was really speaking to your mention of a lighter flywheel not effecting a
change like a few hundred pound lighter car.  There is a certain amount of
effect though.

Because a heavier flywheel will take more power to accelerate it then a
lighter one, it will take a larger throttle opening to effect the same
change in speed.  If the detonation is being induced by what you suggested,
the added compression time and thus added combustion heat caused by a
greater throttle opening at the same speed, the lighter flywheel will lessen
the effect by requiring less throttle opening to maintain roadspeed versus
the heavy flywheel.

James Nazarian
71 B tourer
71 BGT V8