RE: Dual circuit conversion

To: "'james'" <jhn3@uakron.edu>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dual circuit conversion
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:17:07 -0800
> I think it is just a matter of procuring a dual circuit MC
> and one of the
> distribution blocks (with pressure differential warning
> switch), as well as
> the lines to do the conversion.  A used PDWS should be easy
> to come by, but
> be wary of used MCs, they don't lend themselves to kitting as
> well as some
> other styles so probably spring for new here.

When changing the single master to a 68-74 dual master, it does get a bit
more involved.  To make the job easier, the brake master frame and clutch
master should be changed.  The hole for the brake master is a lot bigger
(kind of a pain to file out) and the clutch master is mounted at an angle to
clear the larger brake reservoir.

This is a pretty common conversion on the vintage race scene, for those that
don't want to go all the way to a Tilton frame assembly.  For comparison,
the Tilton 3 master alloy frame with hanging pedal runs about $400.00.  This
gives you adjustable brake bias, but does require some fabrication work to
install.

I installed the 68-74 brake assembly in my 1980 MGB and don't plan on using
the PDWS.  Given some free time, I'll come up with the brake lines required
to bypass the unit.

Kelvin.