hard top rebuild

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: hard top rebuild
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:16:00 -0700
Two years ago, I made this car deal in which I acquired two MGBs and a slug
of spare parts. In the deal, I also got a disassembled but complete factory
hard top. The problem is putting this top back together with most of the
parts and no instructions.

I did get some seals from Macgregors. However, the seal that goes on the
rear of the hardtop looks like  it can go one of two ways as the oval part
is a little off-center. With a 50-50 chance,  odds are good that I have it
in wrong. Can anyone describe the right way?

The side windows had been removed and some new sheets of plexiglass were
cut to fit. I did manage to buy the screws to reassemble the sides but
noticed on the one side that had not been disassembled that there was a
rubber seal  that holds the plexiglass in place. It looks like common
material -  a sheet of rubber, less than 1" wide and maybe 1/8" thick would
work. But in a brief search here in Billings, Montana, I was unsuccessful.
Any suggestions  on where I might look? I can always see if Martin
Macgregor has something if I can't get something local.

A picture of the car in its present state can be seen at:
http://www.imt.net/~dcouncil/mg/72mgb.jpg

The hard top is on, minus the side windows for now.

David
67 BGT
72 B in black tulip (looks lighter in the picture than it is)