WINDSCREEN WIPERS

To: "The MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: WINDSCREEN WIPERS
From: "Bill Meyer" <wcameyer@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:24:08 -0700
Today being the first rainy day in No. AZ in I don't know how long, the wipers
on my '72 GT received a good workout and show problems.
History: When I received the car in August, the wipers had been mounted
improperly, i. e. parked to the passenger side instead of the driver side.  I
don't have any idea how often they had been turned on, trying to move further
clockwise.
Anyways, I discovered the problem and remounted the arms.  They worked when
tested, but in a lesser arc than what they should have traveled.
Today, that arc of movement suddenly decreased fairly drastically.  They now
travel from the horizontal position to only barely the vertical.  They do move
in unison, and I can detect no hesitation when they change direction.

Is the gearbox stripped? the motor end of the cable?

Has anybody experienced this before?

Oh yes, they have never worked at high speed, and never parked automatically.

TIA<

Bill Meyer