RE: ZS to HIF

To: "'MonteMorris'" <mmorris@nemr.net>, MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ZS to HIF
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 11:32:31 -0800
Monte:

My daily commuting ride was a 1980 MGB fitted with twin HIF carbs for many
years.  No shimming or fiddling was necessary to install the carbs.  The air
filters are another matter.

        The conversion used the stock length insulators and originally was
fitted with Stellings filters.  These tended to plug frequently so I looked
into alternatives.  That's where the tapered K&N filters came in.  I tested
them on the car, and they worked a charm.  To my mind they are the best
answer, but they are not cheap.

        Lawrie had some experience with shortened insulators which allows a
greater range of filters.  I'm from the hacksaw and file school of machine
work, so was happier not going that route.

        I think I saw Bill Meyer's car at an event somewhere and was
impressed by the Edelbrock foam filter conversion.  I'm pretty sure I even
have a photo of it.

        I'm not a fan of the foam filters, as I've had one go up in flames,
but it was an ingenious solution.

Kelvin.