MGA differential fill plug and screw on type oil filter

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA differential fill plug and screw on type oil filter
From: "British Classics" <britclass@choicenet1.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 15:27:36 -0800
May I offer some info that could be of interest to those who have or
are contemplating using this type of filter adapter?

I have this adapter on the wifes 67 BGT and it works very well. I
would have used an OE type from a later B ( yes I know that there is a
late hanging filter but they are very hard to source) but the hanging
style offers better oiling at start up as the oil does not drain out
of the can during idle periods and offers instant oil pressure and so
avoids the MG engine rattle at first start. This filter uses the same
filter as my Mazda B2200 so I usually have a couple around.  If you
have a clearance problem I suggest you look in an OF catalog for your
OF part # or use the vehicle application and see what a shorter
version of that application is and use that one.

 Now a word on different OFs. Some time ago I went to a site that had
analyzed a wide spectrum of OFs and it made for interesting reading,
to say the least. Do a search on OFs and see what you come up with.
Anyhow, the Fram filters are generally not the greatest quality, I
consider WIX to be the Cadillac of filters and I believe they make the
Napa filters of which Gold is thier top of the line. Now to the Nitty
Gritty, the fellow that did the filter survey compared the Napa gold
and silver filters and found no discernible difference in them,
concluding that it must be some sort of sales ploy. So be advised that
you can get the same quality filter for a lesser $ amount, the choice
is yours.

I have a lube tool with several different square sizes at each end
that fits about any square recessed plug in existence, you could
search for something similar at a service station supply house or go
to a Jiffy Lube type place and ask what they use. I think I have, at
times, used a ratchet to good effect, but don't strain it as they fit
in there some what loosely. You could also get a length of square bar
from a steel supply and bend the end into an  L , then grind it to
fit. Be imaginative, it is not an impossible hurdle to overcome.

Regards, Brad