Any D type O/D experts out there?

To: mgs@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Any D type O/D experts out there?
From: Mgbbob@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:21:46 -0500
Hi fellow listers,
I've got a challenging little problem I'd like to run by you all.
I got hold of an engine and O/D tranny for my '66 B a few years ago and
installed it last summer. Before I made the swap I rebuilt the engine and
tranny.
While the tranny needed some new gears, layshaft and bearings, the O/D unit was
perfect. I replaced the oring seals and put it all back together.
Sometime in September, I made the mistake of backing up with the O/D engaged. I
realized my mistake immediately, but it was too late....the O/D locked up when
it was engaged. I decided to use it for the rest of the season and pull the
engine in the Spring.
Well, the engine is pulled and the O/D unit is apart on the bench and I don't
see anything wrong. The planet carrier and annulus are good and the friction
facings on the clutch assembly look OK.
I'm stuck. I haven't taken the overrunning (unidirectional) clutch apart yet
but, if it failed, wouldn't I see bits of the rollers inside?
Are there any of you out there that have knowledge of hydraulic O/D's....most
O/D's of the era share principals that apply to all.
Can you help?
TIA
Bob Stahlbush