Jasmine progress for Drivers School next weekend

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Jasmine progress for Drivers School next weekend
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 00:13:49 -0800
This weekend, I made good progress on getting Jasmine ready for SCCA
drivers school next weekend. Yesterday I got the missing 4 inches of
weld in her cage done, so it is now SCCA legal. I then got my SCCA
physical, and I also tested out my new camera mount and camcorder. I
was rather perturbed when I found out that my camcorder (JVC GR-D70U)
has no provisions for an external mike. A bit more research showed
that it seems that no camcorders in it's price range ($500) do!

It did seem as if I could be heard over the engine, even at full
chat, so all is not lost. We'll see how it works.

Today, we got most of the interior out, the cage and a lot of the
exposed (still painted yellow) metal all painted white to match the
new exterior. I also repacked and reshimmed the front wheel
bearings. At 5:30 PM I found that one of my wheel bearings was pitted
and managed to get a replacement! Thanks to the hints on the proper
way to set the bearings, they feel much better now. The email
descriptions that I got were actually quite a bit more useful than the
description in the Haynes manual.

I think that the brake pads that I have on it are Porterfield LD48
R-4S with about 7,000 miles on them (maybe 500 on the track) that I
think that I got from Doug Jackson. Unfortunately his website
information seems to be in MS excel format which is a pain in the butt
to deal with on a Linux box. Anyways, griping aside, I know that there
are a few other folks on the list that push their MGBs pretty hard and
at least a couple of them use them for both street and track.  What
are people's opinions on the current offerings for performance brakes?
In general I've been pretty happy with Carbon-Kevlar brakes though
some of the Carbon Metallic can be a bit hard on the rotors. I think
that I have enough brake material to make it through a three day race
weekend, but if I can get a backup set before I head to the track on
Thursday, that could be a good thing. (Anybody who sells such that
would like to give me a quote is welcome to send one to
lrc@red4est.com).

If you're interested in keeping tabs on my progress and todo lists,
they are at:
http://www.red4est.com/jasmine/dschoolscca0303/

I hope to get the last bit of paint on the cage and interior tomorrow
morning and get the interior and safety gear back together tomorrow
night so I can get her dyno tested Tuesday morning and have a tech
inspector pre-tech her Tuesday at lunch.

Sleep is for wimps.

    Larry
--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.