exhaust work

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: exhaust work
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 18:26:35 -0600
Listers,
I'm getting ready to work on exhaust systems on both cars and have a few
questions.

For the 79B (that has just started to be sanded at the paint shop today):
    I'm converting from ZS to HIF carbs (off parts car). I have the entire
exhaust system off the 74B parts car (duel mufflers) but I like the "tone"
of the 67B that has a single muffler and a tailpipe resonator.  Does  it
matter which muffler (Moss # 444035 or 444030) I buy for converting to a
single one and does it matter where the muffler is placed in the system? I
will have the local muffler shop use their pipe and mend it all together.

For the 67B (with duel HS4's):
I now have the carbs off since I've just rebuilt them.  I haven't taken the
manifold off yet, but I know the headpipe was somewhat loose on the
manifold. I have a new manifold gasket and I have new studs and nuts for the
manifold/headpipe juncture but should I reuse the exhaust flange gaskets? I
have no problem with buying new ones but I would like to work on it this
weekend and I have no new ones available.