RE: NAMGBR and New Paint

To: "'Plunk, Eric'" <Eric.Plunk@allegiancetelecom.com>,
Subject: RE: NAMGBR and New Paint
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:10:10 -0800
> Hypothetical question:  Let's say I buy a drive-able CBB
> roadster with no
> rust, but it needs a new paint job.  How much would this
> cost?  Can one get
> away with masking parts of the car before sanding/painting,
> or do parts need
> to be removed before sanding/painting for a good job?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Eric:

It depends how theoretical you want to get.  How about a bit more practical.
It is extremely unlikely that you will find a CBB with no rust, that just
needs a paint job.

IME.  All MGBs have either rust in the doglegs (the area between door and
rear wheel) or have had that rust repaired in some fashion.  A good rust
repair is simple to complete with patch panels.  I would prefer to get a car
that has not been repaired, so that I can ensure it is done correctly, than
buy a car that looks pretty and may be a problem in the future.

The MGB is so simple to strip, I would recomend taking the time to strip the
chrome and windshield before painting.  The difference to the final product
is night and day.  All the rubbers and side trim clips are available, so it
doesn't make sense to make the job harder than it is.  There are good
reference books available, such as the DIY guide to purchase and
restoration.

Kelvin.