The more or less continuing saga of my carburetor woes...

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: The more or less continuing saga of my carburetor woes...
From: "Marc Siegel" <smarc@abs.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:23:58 -0500
Since we finally had a break in weather that corresponded with a break from
my kids, I got to work some more on my problems... Unfortunately, that
usually means making them worse! I'm learning a lot, but I don't always
understand all I know...

To recap, I decided to swap out my Weber DGV (which was a replacement for a
ZS) with dual HIFs. On Saturday, I was able to determine that I did in fact
have vacuum leaks at the intake manifold to head connection. This was by
spraying carb cleaner around the area. Noted a definite change in engine
speed when spray was applied. I RR'ed the manifold with the addition of a
little blue goo. This improved the situation, but still having problems.

 I'm ordering a new manifold gasket today (no doubt should have done this
first off - which side of the gasket faces the head???). All six gaskets for
the heat-shield/spacer block/carbs are/were new, but I'll probably replace
these upon reassembly as well. They are pretty cheap... Is it recommended to
use a gasket sealer on these gaskets, as well as the manifold gasket?
Anything besides the standard blue goo?

Also, can I expect to replace the manifold gasket by just removing the two
outer bolts on the exhaust manifold? Will I have enough clearance to do this
properly, or will I have to disconnect the head pipes and pull the manifold?

The Weber DGV, which was purchased new early last summer, sat idle over the
winter. I was going to reuse it on my other MG, but upon installation, it
floods badly, completely filling up the secondary barrel! I've been perusing
the 'net looking for info before I delve into this. I'm guessing either it's
gunked up, or has something torn (pump diaphragm?)? Can any one point me
where to look?

I'll also ask this once more - I have a very nicely rebuilt set of HIF's
that overflow constantly. I have checked and rechecked float height,
replaced the needles & seats, tested them using air pressure (they shut off
very securely), and still can't stop them from overflowing. I purchased them
used, but already rebuilt, so can't really vouch for them. I have looked for
physical defects, etc, but they really are clean and in excellent shape.
Floats are not leaky, tested in boiling water. What the heck could be
causing this problem???

--
Marc Siegel, Charm Net, LLC.  eMail: smarc@abs.net
Baltimore, MD  http://www.charm.net  voice: 410/361-8160