Re: torque & tuning

To: wcameyer@msn.com
Subject: Re: torque & tuning
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:54:35 -0500
Bill,
  It may be. Depends on the specs for the engine in question.
   This discussion originated with the owner asking about 15 and 18 and
suggesting that it worked better at 18, and that the vacuum advance did
not work.
   MG gave its advance settings at what we believe were settings unlikely
to cause knocking under worst-case conditions and combinations of
circumstances.  Most of us find that we can, fortunately, get away with
more advance than MG specified.  That's not always true in all engines,
however.
   When in doubt, as in this discussion wherein there is some uncertainty
that the crankshaft pulley has not slipped on its hub, one sets the
timing to what seems right (or acceptable) with timing light, but relies
on the actual performance of the engine---as in drive up a hill and
listen for knocking---to confirm the timing light setting.
    The 13 degree, or 15, or whatever, are not so much absolute, always
settings as points from which a departure and experiment can be made.
Bob