blasting of lever shocks?

To: mgs@autox.team.net, "Chuck Renner" <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Subject: blasting of lever shocks?
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:23:57 -0600
You wrote:
Got most of the front end of the MGB dismantled.  I'm going to blast and
refinish the arms and the subframe, but want to know what's safe to do to
the shocks to clean them up.  Is it safe to sandblast them, or use some
other media?
=====================
Chuck,
        The bodies are a zinc alloy. Sand blasting makes them quite pitted. We
use
glass beads on them. You can also use an oven cleaner which does a very
good job on any tar and oil. If you choose to blast them, I suggest at the
minimum you use a rope or some sort of wrap around the shafts as otherwise
you'll destroy the seals and pit the shaft.  Taking the whole assembly to
the do-it-yourself car wash works well to pre-clean everything too.
        Have fun.
        Peter C.