Re: Weak Spark

To: <bamadio@statestreet.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weak Spark
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:12:58 -0000
You should be able to draw a spark out to about 1/2", sometimes more, and it
should be blue and make a sharp 'crack'.  Weak sparking can be caused by a
failed condenser, in which case it will barely jump 1/8", be yellow and make
a 'fizz' noise.  If you remove the king lead from the coil you can safely
hold it in your fingers while you do this, but if you do it at a plug and
have a good spark you will probably yelp.  You can also buy spark testers
(loads on Google) that do much the same thing i.e. have a variable gap or
several fixed ones.  Carbon string leads do deteriorate over time (the
carbon seems to migrate and cause high-resistance spots) where over 30 years
I have found the silicone leads extrememly consistent.  Does a 50s TD have
resistance leads or solid copper?