RE: Horn on 74 BGT

To: "c mondialo" <cmondialo@hotmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Horn on 74 BGT
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 22:07:52 -0600
Charlie,

The wiring colors for the horn should be violet to the horns and violet/black
from the horn to the horn push.

If you remove the steering column shroud, you should find the wiper contact
which maintains a constant contact with the steering wheel assembly. This is a
short flat bronze piece with a violet/black wire attached. Check that this is
making good contact with the back side of the steering wheel hub. You can also
disconnect the wire and touch it to a good ground. The horns should sould. If
it does not, then there is a problem between there and the horns. This should
get you pretty close to finding the problem.

Regards,
Lew Palmer

Question for the list,  I have a 74 BGT with two original horns that are non
operational from the steering wheel hub pushpiece.  I tested the horn's
individually and both work.  When I popped off the horn push centerpiece I
noticed a previous owner had removed the contact brush.  I put in a new one,
replace the centerpiece but still no luck.  It may be that one of the previous
owners took the brush out to silence the horns but this is only a guess.  Any
thoughts on what to look for?  What are the wire colors for the horn?  Thanks
again.  If there is an FAQ on this please send a link  Thanks again
Charlie