Re: Fuel Pump Noise

To: tomwagner@charter.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump Noise
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:09:22 -0800 (PST)
Tom Wagner SEZ -
> I have a 67 MGB and I am wondering if
> it is normal to hear the fuel pump clicking
> when the car is idling???  Full tank of gas,
> but every once in awhile I hear it clicking while
> backing up, or at stop lights and signs, not
> while motoring down the interstate or hwys.

Short answer - Yes.

Long answer - Every time the pressure in the fuel line drops,
the pump will run until it's back up to pressure.  So when
the float bowls in the carbs get near empty, the fuel pump
fills them back up.  It shouldn't run continuously at idle,
but a couple clicks every now and then is perfectly normal.

--
David Breneman                     | "Just because something doesn't
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst    |  do what you planned it to do