Re: Engine Origins

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine Origins
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 18:28:21 EST
In a message dated 3/22/03 2:00:54 PM Pacific Standard Time, Albert Escalante
 writes (rather naively):

> Is it just a rumour, or did I hear correctly said that the early Triumph
> sports cars like the TR-2's, and TR-3's used engines originally built for
> use
> as utility items in tractors, lorries, etc. In comparison to our little MG
> engines that were meant solely to be used in automotive setups.

Good Lord, how soon they forget.

The OHV Triumph engine started life in about 1947 as an 85 mm bore 2088 cc
replacement for the old 1800 engine, and it was used in various forms through
the TR4 and also in various industrial uses including a Diesel version, boat
engines, tractors (Ferguson), etc.

The B series Austin engine started out as a 1200 cc in the A-40, dropped in
the early 50s when they went exclusively to the 1489 size. It was also built
in boat, Diesel, tractor and truck versions.

There is absolutely nothing to distinguish the Triumph from the Austin/MG in
terms of original intention or actual use - both engines saw a full range of
use from stationary engines through trucks, to cars and sports versions.

You could have learned this quite easily with a little web browsing.

Bill