Re: Electronic regulator

To: "Charles Robinson" <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: Electronic regulator
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:33:38 -0600
At 07:03 AM 3/27/03 -0600, Charles Robinson wrote:
>   So, if replacing the genny with an alt is frowned on by the "keep 'em
> stock" folks, wouldn't the same go for the regulator?

I think we had that discussion a while back.  Maybe this falls under "what
you can't see won't hurt you".  An MGA with a Ford or Nissan 5-speed
gearbox may be acceptable to the general public, where a Nissan engine is a
definite no-no.  If you could tuck the electronic regulator inside of the
original Lucas regulator cover, maybe no one would notice.

I suppose that racing circles may be likely to pass blessing on the
regulator upgrade, as long as you keep the generator.  That's similar to
allowing a Mallory distributor in place of the original Lucas unit.  I
think that has to do with whether it "materially affects the performance of
the automobile", but this depends on which race group you hang with.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com