Zenith-Stromberg stubborn needle removal

To: MG listserv <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Zenith-Stromberg stubborn needle removal
From: Robert Guinness <rjglaw@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:23:48 -0600
During the rebuild of my Zenith Stromberg 175 CD-2 carb (with water
choke) on my 77 MGB, I hit a stumbling block.  I cant' get the old
needle out of the piston.  I lossened/removed the grub screw on the side
of the piston and turned the adjustment/retainer screw with the Zenith
carb tool, but the needle will not move.  The needle housing is still
flush with the piston so there is nothing to grab onto to pull out
except the needle itself.  I am afraid that if I pull on the needle
itself, I will bollocks up the whole works.  When I loosen the
adjustment/reatiner screw I hear/feel it "pop" or "click" after about
three turns counterclockwise.  It feels as if the adjustment/retainer
screw is fully disengaged from the threads of the needle housing and
adjustment/retainer screw is setting back down on the top thread of the
needle housing.  If I turn about three turns clcsckwise, the
adjustment/reatainer screw tightens up again.  No matter what I do, the
needle housing remains flush with the piston.  I "PB Blasted" it and let
it sit for 24 hours.  No change.  Any helpful hints?  I should note that
the car was sitting for about 18 years.  Thanks in advance.

Robert Guinness
77 MGB
75 Midget