Tranny Rebuild

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tranny Rebuild
From: Bill Snyder <wtsnyder@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 09:27:22 -0500
I am trying to finish up restoration on my '72BGT. I am pretty well done,
however, the gearbox and overdrive unit are giving me trouble. The
sychronizers for 1st and 2nd gear essentially are nonexistant. You have
to be rolling very slowly or be stopped to shift into either of those
gears. Third gear exhibits a little "chink" sensation when you shift into
3rd rapidly. It changes smoothly when you shift very slowly. No problems
have been noted with 4th gear. Most disturbing is that when the car, and
apparently the gear oil, are hot, the car does not want to reverse. It
only makes a high pitched whine and moves very slowly backward. Reverse
engages normally when the car is cold. The overdrive unit works fine at
highway speeds and engages/disengages properly. The reverse gear has not
been used when the OD is engaged (since I have had the car).

My questions:
1. What parts are typically needed to correct the worn synchronizer
problem?
2. Does the reverse problem point to the OD? Any idea about what parts
are worn?
3. Are there other specific areas in the tranny that should be checked
while in there?

I would like to be able to get MOST of the needed parts ahead of time.
Thanks for everyone's input.

Bill Snyder
'66 MGB Roadster, ready for spring
'72 BGT, almost there!