RE: Unmounting door? (stupid screws)

To: "'Kendel McCarley'" <kmmccarley@earthlink.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Unmounting door? (stupid screws)
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 13:55:54 -0800
Kendel:

I gave up on the impact driver too.

The best results I have had are from installing the impact screwdriver head
into the correctly sized socket, that is on a 6" extension.

Place the bit into the screw, then smack the end of the extension HARD with
a lead hammer.  This tends to break the paint and rust bond.

Then use a (longer the better) ratchet on the extension to carefully apply
torque whilst leaning into the screw.  This allows you to apply a lot of
controlled torque to the screw, which after the previous action has been
warned not to mess with you.

Worst case scenerio.  Oxy Acc. torch to quickly heat up the screw head,
while damaging as little paint as possible.  Then repeat the above actions.
This way the screw knows you really mean business.

Working in a scrap yard, you got very good at doing these door screws.

good luck

Kelvin