Re: Chrome at Home? was Re: [Fwd: Chrome costs -- ouch]

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chrome at Home? was Re: [Fwd: Chrome costs -- ouch]
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 09:52:33 -0700
I've heard of kits for cadmium plating at home (that's the gold-colored
coating you see on certain fasteners), and I imagine hobbyists do copper
plating and even silver plating. But chrome plating is a multi-step process,
and because of the size of the parts involved, requires large quantities of
the various nasty chemicals; making me wonder if it is at all practical, or
even safe, for the home hobbyist. Not to mention that the reason commercial
facilities are so scarce is the environmental regulations regarding these
activities, which would also apply to you, and which could easily make it
more hassle than it's worth.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149