Re: Microsoft tech question again

To: Chris Thompson <ct-mg@cthompson.com>, James Nazarian
Subject: Re: Microsoft tech question again
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:23:43 -0600
An interesting question. I had the same problem with AT&T. They had their
own cheesy spinning icon. I think I finally got rid of it by reinstalling
Windows, which is actually good to do every year or two to clean out a lot
of junk that gets picked up.

Technically you can't uninstall Internet Explorer since its supposedly part
of the operating system. Upgrading keeps the same registry settings intact
which is likely where the problem lies.

But I believe this will fix it - either use the below as a reg file and
import it or change the registry entries manually:
--------

REGEDIT4
;
; Registry Update File to remove IE Branding
;
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\INTERNET EXPLORER\MAIN]
"BigBitmap"="Default"
"SmallBitmap"="Default"
"Window Title"="Microsoft Internet Explorer"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar]
"BrandBitmap"="Default"
"SmBrandBitmap"="Default"

David Councill
MCSE