high idle-JB Weld

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: high idle-JB Weld
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 20:44:18 -0500
I'm in the process of JB Welding the space between the short throttle shaft
bushing (that doesn't extend all the way into the interior of the carb
body)and the inside of the carb body where it meets the throttle plate. This
is the only place I can find that the carbs might be leaking air and causing
the high idle. I stuck a small piece of the old throttle shaft into the
bushing from the outside and flush with the inside of the body, taped it in
place and JB Welded around it on the inside to fill in any space left by the
short bushings. I've never used  JB Weld before, but I figure I can let it
set up for a few hours and then pull the piece of throttle shaft back out
from the outside to create a doughnut-shaped filled space. I would hate to
weld the piece of shaft in permanently; do you think a few hours will be too
much/little time? The directions say 4-6 hours before moving and 12-16 hours
drying time before actually using.
Thanks,
Monte