SU HS4 overflow problem

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU HS4 overflow problem
From: Menno.Meijer@ict.nl
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:13:57 +0200
Experts,

Recently my rear carb had an overflow problem. (fuel came out
of the overflow pipe) After cleaning it all (chamber, needle
and seat) the problem was solved.

What worried me was the following: The PO probably replaced
the "original" overflow pipes with short rubber hoses. (approx.
40 cm) The result was that fuel leaked on the inside of the
engine compartement. (This worried me because of the possible
risk of fire)

Next to the disadvantage of the possible risk of fire the ad-
vantage was that I smelled the fuel, stopped and found the
problem. I wonder whether I'd found the problem so quickly when
the overflow pipes were long enough and the fuel leaked on road.
(while driving)

At first I thought that the rubber overflow hoses were original
but according to my catalog there should be metal pipes with a
small piece of rubber between the lid and pipe. (In order to
reduce the risk of fire these long metal pipes would make sense)

Q1: What should be the length of the overflow pipes attached
    to the lid of the fuel chamber? (I expect them to be that
    long that the fuel will never touch any "hot" part of the
    car)
Q2: What's the "usual" way of detecting an overflow problem when
    these longer metal pipes are fitted? (I expect a rough
    running engine because the fuel level in the carb would be
    too high)

Specs: 1963 MGB, 2 SU HS4 carbs.

Greetings and looking forward to your responses,

Menno Meijer
The Netherlands

----------------
This E-mail message, including any attached documentation, is
confidential. Should you have received this message wrongly, you are
urged to inform the sender at "disclaimer@ICT.nl" and remove the message
from your system. Any unauthorised dissemination of the information, in
whole or in part, is prohibited. E-mail messages can be subject to
change. ICT Automatisering NV and its subsidiaries cannot be held
responsible for incorrect, incomplete and/or delayed transfer of
messages and possible damage caused by this. Although ICT Automatisering
NV (including its subsidiaries) makes every effort to send messages free
of viruses by using a viruschecker, ICT Automatisering NV (or its
subsidiaries) cannot guarantee that the message and any attachments are
actually completely virus free.