Windshield install - lessons learned

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Windshield install - lessons learned
From: "S Twigg" <seanan@crosslink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:08:31 -0400
Everyone,
        As most can tell from my earlier posts, I was working on the
broken windshield of my 75 MGB.  I searched the web, archives, and
consulted a few books, including the Bentley Manual, to see if I could
make the process any easier.  It didn't help.  It took me a few days to
get the windshield frame back together.  I cut the glazing rubber down a
bit and it then fit fine. Knowing what I do now - I could now probably
put the frame back together in one to two hours.
        Installing the windshield into the car was very easy and took
less than an hour once I ignored the conventional wisdom that said,
counter to Bentley, that you should install the two center rod bracket
bolts first.  This, I found, restricts movement of the windscreen too
much to successfully attach the side pillar bolts.  I didn't attach them
and this made it quite easy to put in the top side bolts by pulling down
and in on the top of the pillars.  Pushing up and out on the pillars
allowed me to put in the bottom bolts.  With the four bolts still a bit
loose, I then pushed the center of the top rail of the frame out and
threaded the two center dash bolts.  Then I tightened everything.  I'll
agree with many of the posts I found in the archives that a windshield
breakdown and reinstall is one of the worst jobs to do on an MGB.
        Hopefully I can now get the car back on the road.  It was 80 in
Southern Maryland today and I was so ready to take the car out.

Regards,
Sean Twigg
75MGB