Re: heater core - multi-speed fan

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: heater core - multi-speed fan
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@teradata-ncr.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:00:58 -0400
>You can wire a 1.6 ohm ignition ballast resistor in series
>with the heater power wire.

These are easy to find in junkyards. Audi and VW use
a resistor on the engine fan and the heater fan to
control speeds. The engine fan is a 2 speed resistor
which I use on a similar application and its located
right by the cooling fan - takes 10 seconds to remove
The heater resistor is for a 4 speed control and I
use the center position (half speed) and by-pass the
resistor on a double position switch to get full speed
the resistor is wrapped round a 1/2" ceramic hollow
insulator - which keeps things cool.
gerry