Re: exhaust system

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: exhaust system
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:52:39 -0700
Speaking of exhaust systems, I just had Holiday Muffler in Santa Cruz
do some work on mine. Even with the glasspack and the spintech
muffler, the car was a bit loud for comfort in a daily driver. SCCA
sound measured it at 89-91 dB at full chat up at Thunderhill.  I had
also been having troubles with my hi-flow header scraping.

Holiday reconfigured the header, with a different flange, gaining me
at least an inch of ground clearance (i.e. about 30% more). They also
installed a low profile spintech "cruiser" muffler. While I no longer
have the fun of setting off car alarms as I drive through town, the
car is a lot more pleasant to drive, and the ground clearence is a lot
better.

The main points are:

1) If you're getting a muffler, check out the spintech low profile
   muffler. Fairly low restriction and it's actually shallower than
   the exhaust tubing.

2) Holiday treated me well, and they have fresh experience with
   putting a low restriction, maximal ground clearance, exhaust system
   in an MGB. If you go, tell them that I sent you.

An amusing aside. I met Mark, the owner, about 20 years ago when he
was about 12 years old, and had a job picking up trash on the beach at
the Santa Cruz boardwalk. My '68 sprite with rollbar, racing stripe
and number on the bonnet caught his attention. When he told me about
his VW bus that would do 120 MPH in the quarter mile, I was rather
dubious. A few weeks later I saw the bus, with a chevy 454 mounted
midships.

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.