TDC marks in Bentley's

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TDC marks in Bentley's
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 22:47:13 -0500
Is the diagram about TDC markings on  page 81 of the green, 1962-74
Bentley's manual wrong, or am I misinterpreting it? The way I interpret it,
TDC is the point farthest to the left. Several helpful listers have informed
me that the TDC mark should be the mark farthest to the right, which makes
sense.
Evidently I've adjusted my timing (and consequently the carbs) wrong.
Thinking that the TDC mark was the one on the left (there are 5 points on my
marker and all  the same length), I adjusted it to 13 degrees to the right
of the left-most pointer-which must be about 7 degrees advanced if the TDC
mark is the the farthest one to the right.
Upon reinstalling the rebuilt carbs, when I first used the light, the timing
mark was way to the LEFT of the mark farthest to the left-which should be
way off (advanced), yet the car ran great before I rebuilt the carbs to fix
an erratic idle. Reason?

Monte, 67B with rebushed, rebuilt carbs