British V8 2003.....#3

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: British V8 2003.....#3
From: Mowog1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 15:19:36 EDT
Greetings!

Friday....midafternoon.....we are now having some very loud thunderstorms and
periodic cloudbursts. But that has not diminished the fun of the day!

About 9am, some 15 to 20 enthusiasts took off for the Tail of the Dragon. A
second group about about 10 left for the same destination about 11am.

The weather cooperated....no rain and plenty of sun for both groups on the
Dragon. A short drive on the Foothills Parkway then it was a left turn onto
SR129....The Dragon. Speed is definitely NOT a factor in a successful finish
of this 11 mile route to Deals Gap. Setting up turns, quick looks up road
(when possible) for oncoming traffic (a lot of motorcycles and one semi); a
lot of switchbacks....and the occasional slow minivan ahead of us (which was
kind enough to pull over). The Dragon actually reminded me of a Disney
amusement ride...complete with the gift shop at the end...seling t-shirts,
bumper stickers, etc. We completed our first run and rested for about a half
an hour before heading back to Townsend (via the same route of course!) We
completed a double run of the Dragon in about an hour ... a total of 636
turns and 22 miles.....and I still have the adrenalin rush to prove it! Pete
Mantell's wife (Sue) did a fantastic job video taping the drive...(I'm
surprised she did't suffer from motion sickness looking through the
viewfinder!) Thanks, Sue!

Those who did not follow us to Deals Gap head towards Knoxville, TN for the
Street Rod meet. (I'll probably be doing that tomorrow.) Tech sessions will
soon begin this afternoon (the rain has stopped!)...then a BBQ and bluegrass
music fest this evening.

Until tomorrow....

Regaards...

rick ingram