The tranny conversion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: The tranny conversion
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 00:06:20 -0500
It's finally in. With Doug Jackson's info and tunnel cover (to arrive
soon), the red car now has a 4-synchro overdrive tranny in it. I still have
yet to patch up the cosmetics and do the wiring correctly, but after
putting new o-rings in the OD solenoid, the thing actually works better
than it did when it was in the primrose. So far.

After the test run tonight (during which I ran out of gas because I was
enjoying the ride too much to pay attention so I had to wake up my son to
come rescue me) I've decided that I like the taller first and second gears
of the early transmission better as well as the shorter throw lever, but
the trade-off is by far worthwhile and I can shorten the lever eventually.

For the time being I put the switch where the windscreen washer button
(which didn't work) used to be but I think the solution for me is getting
another floor mount dimmer switch and making another bracket, then move the
dimmer up a little and mount th OD switch right under the dimmer. Then
fashion a light with a jeweled red bezel and put it in the real OD switch
hole to the left of the steering wheel to let me know I'm in overdrive.

I think the same guy that designed the late rear mount for use with the LH
overdrive may be the same bastard that designed the exhaust headers and I
think he had a hand in the heater box, too, as others have tesified. I can
see no way on earth of getting the drivers side rear case bolt in so I blew
it off. If anyone has a neat trick please publish.

Glenn

Glenn Schnittke
Vice-President
Tennessee Spokes Sports Car Club