Clutch Lever Differences????

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch Lever Differences????
From: "NSippel" <nsippel@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 19:30:45 -0400
A few years ago, I installed a 4-synchro, late-B trans in my '66 B.  I have
no recollection as to whether the clutch lever arm was changed.  It may well
have been.  All was uneventful until last year after installing a heavy duty
Borg & Beck clutch to replace the standard unit that had somewhere around
30,000 miles of street & race driving.  At 700 miles the roller throw out
bearing went.  I replaced it with the old carbon one.  At 3,000 miles the
clutch disc had 25% of one face fall apart (thankfully at idle in my
driveway).  I had no h.d. parts, so reinstalled the old standard disc.  Just
took it out with an additional 3,000 miles on it - none the worse for the
wear.  However, the t.o. bearing was worn very much off center.  About 3/4"
off center to be exact.  Now, I installed a new bushing & bolt when
installing the h.d. parts.  So there isn't much slop in the system.

What could be causing the off center t.o. bearing wear other than a too long
or too short arm?

Any experts out there????  Anyone know the differences between the early &
late throw out arms????

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB