Re: Unintentional Off-Road Excursion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Unintentional Off-Road Excursion
From: Glenn Schnittke <schnittke@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 12:13:45 -0500
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 17:43:23 -0000
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Subject: Unintentional Off-Road Excursion

Had to make a panic stop in the B the other day.
__________

Rest deleted for brevity...
___________

While you're under the car working on the exhaust, check to see if you even
have a restraint rod. If you don't, start hunting. The later ones aren't
still being made and I don't quite understand why, but you can fashion one
from odd bits. Also check the condition of all of your motor mounts. The
rear ones eventually turn into what looks like licorice pudding and at that
point are totally useless. You don't have to take the engine/trans out to
replace them but replacing them will go a long way towards doing what the
restraint rod is intended to do. I've been in two wrecks (one front end and
one rear end) with the restraint rod installed and both times the engine
hit the fan in spite of it, I assume because of the degradation of the
rubber bits.

Consider it a good lesson in engineering; shock load versus constant load.
There's a huge difference between trying to move something on purpose and
trying to stop something on purpose.

Glenn

Glenn Schnittke
Vice-President