Re: Best way to clean a fuel tank

To: Rui Gigante <rgigante@oninet.pt>
Subject: Re: Best way to clean a fuel tank
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 10:37:58 -0500
Back in college, I dropped my tank and repaired the top with something.
I don't remember the stuff. It worked though. A putty of some sort. This
would have been 1983 or 1984, I think.

Anyway, my Mother made me pretty much fill the tank with water. It was
during winter break in Kansas, pretty cold, but not horrible.

Anyway, after the repair, We drained it, and tried to dry it out as
best we could. Ran an airpump through it for a long time. Still it
didn't do much good. Ended up fouling the carbs. I had to leave the
car at home and go back to school. Then we did a minor rebuild of the
carbs and re-drained and replaced the gas. I either got it back on the
road in February or Spring Break in March. I don't remember.

Anyway, it's probably the right thing to do, but getting it dried out is
a big pain. Sea Foam or some such could help, and filling and draining a
couple times will probably help.

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd N.E., Fl 1S    PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155